Fasting how long and how frequently
Published Aug. 7, 2020, 3:59 p.m. by Jagdeep singh
Fasting has numerous benefits, it is nothing short of a miracle cure. We recommend a 17 hour fast every day (known as intermittent fasting in popular parlour), a 36 hour fast once a week and a 5 day water fast once every 3 to 4 months.
Here are the benefits you get based on the duration of the fast :
- 13-15 Hour fast: If you are new to fasting, this is where you’ll want to start. At 13 hours fasting, your body will secrete growth hormone. The growth hormone assists in burning fat and slowing down the aging process.
- 15 hours is when most people begin to create ketones. Ketones are a sign that your liver has moved from burning sugar to burning fat for energy. Furthermore, ketones are neuro-protective and will go up to the brain, giving you energy and better mental clarity.
- 17-24 hour fasting offers the benefits of cellular repair, detox, cancer prevention, gut repair, aids with anxiety and depression, and brain health and memory loss.
- 17 hour fast: When you reach 17 hours of fasting you will start to stimulate autophagy. What this means is your cells intelligence has been turned on and they are able to repair themselves and get rid of unhealthy cells. This is a great fast for people with autoimmune conditions.
- 24 hour fast: At 24 hours, your intestinal cells reboot and GABA production increases. GABA is the neurotransmitter known to relax our brain and help with anxiety. Our gut health and repairing that intestinal lining is incredibly important in preventing autoimmune disorders and aiding in weight loss.
- 36-48 hour fasts is where to start to see fat loss, anti-aging, and an increase in dopamine.
- 36 hour fast: At 36 hours your body has likely run out of glucose and insulin stores to burn for energy has moved to burning fast stores.
- 48 hour fast: At 48 hours you begin to reset dopamine receptor sites. If you are feeling like your happiness level is not where it needs to be this is where you need to be.
- 72 hour fast: 3 day fasts have been very effective for people with severe injuries and diagnoses, people who are looking for deep healing. This is because at 72 hours stem cell production increases, promoting the healing process for immunological and musculoskeletal issues.
When fasting it is great to give the mind a rest as well, that is by keeping to yourself , meditating and not using electronics (to prevent stimulation).